Tuesday 16 April 2013

An Interview With the Phoenix Jim Walker

This is an interview with Jim 'The Phoenix' Walker




Jim originally comes from Dalbeattie, Scotland, where he started playing darts over 35 years ago in local leagues. In the late 1980s he joined the Fire Service and moved south of the border to Surrey, later moving to Leicestershire where he lives today.




1. When did you start playing darts? When did it start getting ‘serious’?

Started playing darts at the local boys club, aged about 10. I played in the local league back home in Dalbeattie Scotland for the Ship Inn when I was 16. Then I played super league and County in my 20’s. I moved to Surrey in 1988 where I joined the fire Service.
I never played darts again for many years and started playing again when I moved to Leicestershire. I started playing again, basically by chance after watching some of the locals who invited me to join in. I then joined a local team and proceeded to get better and better. I won the local league singles a few times then the Central England Darts Singles 2 years running and was now back playing County darts with Leicestershire.
I started to take darts seriously after I had qualified through Q School in Barnsley in January 2012. I only went to Q School after my mate Tim had explained what it was. He supported and had faith in me, so I thought I’d give it a go.





2. How did you and Nevada come about?

I had played locally with some of the lads that play for Nevada and got to know Jon and Jacqui through them. Jon kindly said to me that, if I ever needed any support, that I could discuss the possibility of joining Nevada Darts, which I did this year.





3. Who do you play your non PDC darts for?

I’ve had a year out from local darts but I’m playing for Leicestershire and I will be resuming playing in the Central England Singles League. There are plenty of quality players that play in this well organised league. It’s OK practising by myself but it’s also good to have good competition to play against.





4. You have had a fantastic season so far. Any major ambitions?

This year my first goal is to stay in the top 64, it looks like I’ve qualified for the UK Open in Bolton, that was another goal. I want to make the World Championships this year and hopefully do well.








5. What’s your favourite tournament?

I’d love to play Premier League Darts, the best against the best, that’s the tournament for me.







6. Describe your throw in 3 words?

Cool, calm, relaxed.





7. What was the highlight of 2012?

Although I’ve had some great results against individuals in the PDC events my best moment of 2012 has to be winning the CIU Club national singles, to have my name on a trophy that has 4 world champions names on it says it all.





8. What do you do to relax away from darts?

Easy, I play more darts.





9. Tell me something we don’t know about you?

About 28 or 29 years ago I took part in an arm wrestling competition to get a place in Sylvester Stallone’s movie ‘Over The Top’, I did well getting to the second day of competing and reached the last eight in my weight division.
Arm wrestling and darts don’t go well together though, one had to give.





10. Do you have any darts weaknesses

Due to work commitments my practise regime is a bit disjointed, this will be rectified when I finish with the Fire Service in under 10 months.





11. Whats your walk-on tune and why? If not that, what else would you walk on tune be?

Kasabian’s Fire, they’re a local Leicestershire Band and ‘Fire’ well enough said. If not that then its Got to be RVB’s walk on, ‘Eye of the tiger’ it still gets me fired up ready for the fight.








12. Do you take much notice of the social media side of darts i.e.: Twitter, Face book etc

Yes, Facebook and Twitter, although not good on either!




13. When your not playing do you enjoy watching any other players play? Who?

I enjoy watching those I know personally, especially the young guns from the Nevada Darts Team, they’re fearless and exciting to watch.





14. What darts do you use?

I use Phil Taylor, Unicorn 26 gram black titanium, straight barrel, short nylon stems and slim flights.





15. Do you have any Darting heroes?

Without doubt, Rab Smith from Dumfries, he was at the top of his game in the mid 70’s playing against Bristow and co, a gentleman, great style, relaxed and professional in his manner too.




 

16. Team Nevada has been tagged the ‘Young Guns’ , A good description?

Oh yes, although, since I joined them, it’s stretching the truth a little. Joking aside, the potential of the young lads in the team is limitless especially with Jon and Jacqui’s selfless support behind them. Already, young Ricky Evans has reached this year’s youth final and just look what Stephen Bunting’s achieving, the standard and quality of the youngsters in the team is immense.








A big thank you to Jim for taking time out to do this interview, it was a pleasure. I for one look forward to seeing more of him on the darts circuit. Also thank you to Jon at Nevada darts for giving me Jim's details.


This interview was done by Richard on the 16th of April 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment