Tuesday 16 July 2013

An Interview with 'The Mole' Sam Hill

This is an interview with Team Nevada player Sam 'the Mole' Hill.












1. When did you start playing darts? When did it start getting ‘serious’?

I started when i was about 14 or 15, watching my brother play youth darts at Northants, it looked fun, later that evening pick up a set and started throwing. It started to be serious as the youth tour started, playing against other people my age, and i realised i could compete with all of them there and i just made me want to get better.




2. How did you and Nevada come about?

I met Jon when i was about 15, he helped run a few tournaments on a Tuesday night. Two years later i think he seen an improvement and just offered to help me out with a few bits and bobs, then we grew into what Nevada is today.




3. Who do you play your non PDC darts for?

I play mostly in singles leagues with the CEDL. There a good local league that plays to a pretty good standard.




4. Any major ambitions?

My Ambition is to be a regular in the major tournaments in the PDC. If i Keep at it, i think this is definitely achievable.




5. What’s your favourite tournament?

Obviously the World Championships. Its the one everybody wants to win and brings out the best in every player on that stage.




6. Describe your throw in 3 words.

Buck - A - Roo (not sure if roo is a word)




7. What was the highlight of 2012?

My Highlight of 2012 would probably be when i qualified for the UK open for the second time, i had to beat Colin Lloyd to qualify, and i ended up taking out 117 when he was sitting on tops at 6-5. That felt good.




8. What do you do to relax away from darts?

If I’m not throwing darts, i am watching films, or spending time with the Mrs, That’s all i do. Bit boring really, don’t think she would like me saying that though.




9. Tell me something we don’t know about you.

If my darts don’t really take off, and i sincerely hope they do, I have a back up plan of Emigrating to New Zealand. Its something me and Emma really would love to do.




10. Do you have any darts weaknesses

Playing someone i feel i should beat easy, i shouldn't think that, but it just happens, i will not play to how i would if i was playing someone i really rate.




11. What’s your walk-on tune and why? If not that, what else would you walk on tune be?

Mony Mony - Billy Idol. Just because it can sounds like it says Moley Moley. My mother thought of it. its really cheesy when i think about it, but funny.




12. Do you take much notice of the social media side of darts i.e.: Twitter, Face book etc

I Have twitter but I'm very rarely checking it, and i don't have Face book. I don't even check my phone often, there’s not many people that can get hold of me, Jon will Back that up.




13. When your not playing do you enjoy watching any other players play? Who?

MvG. What do i need to say when he’s on it. he just awesome.



 
14. What darts do you use?

I use Unicorn Purist phase 2's.




15. Do you have any Darting heroes?

Since i started playing i have always looked up to my older brother, because he was always better than me. I Like to think I'm Just as Good now. (or Better!). I don’t really idolise star dart players. I do love watching all the fellow Nevada boys, like Gaz, Ricky, and Jim. And learn Bits and bobs from them. I remember learning one or two things from Jon back in his playing days. Those guys are the closest thing to darting heroes for me.




16. Team Nevada has been tagged the ‘Young Guns’, A good description?

 Sounds Perfect, if not in Age, in mentality (Jim) he is one of the kids most of the time except for when he’s on the Oche.






A big thank you to Sam for doing this interview and to Jon from Nevada Darts.



This interview was done on Tuesday 16th of July 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment